Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Remembering Lola Chayong

Today marks the second death anniversary of Lola Chayong, the famous Mrs. Rosario Vicaldo Mackay, our maternal grandmother who joined our Creator last November 1, 2003.


Everybody misses her. I can always bet the whole family misses her, I know they do.

As a tradition, we trekked to my Mom�s ancestral home and prepared for Lola�s death anniversary and our youngest cousin, Kristian Carl�s fourth birthday.

Mom cooked Dinuguan and Baked Macaroni, Auntie Fe prepared Pancit Canton, Uncle Jun ordered Puto and Kutsinta while I prepared the famous Menudo sandwich that Lola Chayong prepares yearly as merienda during All Saint�s Day.

The weather cooperated today with a slight breeze all throughout our stay at Lola�s mausoleum.


I do miss Lola Chayong�s specialties like the Banana Cake, Pineapple Pie and her own style of Spaghetti. Whenever I see Green Apples, Green Seedless Grapes and KFC�s Mashed Potatoes, I cannot help but smile, shed a tear and remember her.

Nowadays whenever I go home to 1635, I can only shout out loud the words, �Auntie Fe, nandito na ako!� yet before, all I know and until now I can still hear myself shouting, �Lola, nandito na kami! Anong niluto mo para sa akin?�.

I know she is happy where she is right now and I should be happy that she is resting in Heaven. I also know she is looking down and keeping an eye on us.

Lola Chayong� how I wish I can bake your famous Banana Cake and I can eat the cakes with Mom and the rest of the family. We miss you!

No comments: