Friday, April 13, 2007

Why Aren't You Married Yet?

Aside from me, two members of the Sistahud are in their early 30’s and still single. We have great jobs; we travel and have money to spare for our everyday knick-knacks. Is their anything wrong with being single at your early 30’s?

Do we need to be concerned?

No, I don’t think so! As long as we are happy and comfortable with our lives then we should have no worries. I still have many friends who are not married yet and they are in their mid-thirties.

What else? Being single at this age, we are plagued with the age-old question “why aren’t you married yet?

Some have a hard time answering this question but I bumped into these snappy comebacks and had a good laugh.

  • You haven't asked yet.
  • I was hoping to do something meaningful with my life.
  • Because I just love hearing this question.
  • Just lucky, I guess.
  • It gives my mother something to live for.
  • My fiancee is awaiting his parole.
  • I'm still hoping for a shot at a beauty pageant.
  • I'm waiting until I get to be your age.
  • It didn't seem worth a blood test.
  • I already have enough laundry to do, thank you. Because I think it would take all the spontaneity out of dating.
  • I wouldn't want my parents to drop dead from sheer happiness.
  • What? And lose all the money I've invested in running personal ads?
  • I don't want to have to support another person on my paycheck.
  • Why aren't you thin?
  • I'm married to my career, although recently we have been considering a trial separation.
Given all this, whenever somebody asks me, "So, why aren't you married?" I pause; I smile, look at them in the eye, and then I quietly reply, “The reason I'm not married is because I’m still enjoying my single life.”

It is quite the answer, for now. It would not be a snappy one, but it is the truth.

No comments: